Saint Mary's is an ancient foundation that has seen many changes. By its very existence it shows the time and care that has been lavished on its fabric. There was a Christian foundation on the site from the year 972 AD, probably a wooden structure, and existed from Saxon times. This is thought to have had services taken by monks from Thorney Abbey on a until the founding of the present stone church building on the site in the year 1109 AD.

At that time a bishop and twelve monks created a monastic foundation with a priory on the northwest side of the churchyard in an area of land near where the vestry now stands. It is thought possible that an enlarged priory was built on the land now occupied by the town cemetery in Priory Road. This theory lends itself very nicely to the thought as to how that road received its name.

The church has had ups and downs allied to history. In the thirteenth century a clerestorey was added. In the year 1609 part of the tower fell into the nave of the church. The Tower was rebuilt between 1609  and 1620. About a hundred years later part of the south aisle roof fell in and it had to be rebuilt. In the early part of the nineteenth century, metal tiebeams were added to brace the upper walls of the nave to prevent them from falling in.  The church has some nice examples of 19th century stained glass, some of which is believed to be by Kemp.




St Mary's
Webpage icon St Mary's Bells
Webpage icon The Interior
Printer Printable Version